Monday 12 July 2010

Z is for ZEN; my MP3 player

Alphabe-Thursday this week marks our last day of lessons before we head off for our summer break and in Mrs Matlock's class we have reached the final letter of the alphabet "Z".
Therefore Z is for Zen.
What is Zen?
Wikipedia says it is this:
Zen is a school of Mahāyāna Buddhism. The Japanese word Zen is derived from the Chinese word Chán, which in turn is derived from the Sanskrit word dhyāna, which means "meditation" or "meditative state."
Well, let me show you another type of ZEN.
That's right it's my sweet little MP3 player where I keep my Music & more importantly Books!
I love to listen to books when on a journey.

"Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows "read by Stephen Fry is on there ready for my next long flight to the US.
Doing the housework, vacuuming & dusting, is much less arduous if I bop along to some great Motown Classics at the same time. I just pop ZEN into it's little pink Minnie Mouse sack and off I go.
Who can resist Marvin Gaye's "I Heard It Through The Grapevine"?
A couple of times each year I have a mammoth load of paperwork to file for Mr B's business and the only way to face this onerous task is to listen to a book. It usually takes about two full length paperbacks to finish the job.
Last week it was "Second Opinion" by Michael Palmer, when I finished that I began "Gone Tomorrow" by Lee Child.
Don't tell Mr B but I think I have a crush on Jack Reacher. Working amongst the vegetables in my potager is my time to meditate, and experience Zen, then I choose to listen to Chakra Healing or more often Deepak Chopra's "Soul of Healing Affirmations".
"My body is the garden of my soul, of my soul". See you in class.

25 comments:

  1. Another take on "zen." My son is named Zein (in arabic pronounced "zen") but my son wanted his name to fit in better in the U.S. so he changed his pronunciation to "zane."

    Zein (or zen) in arabic means good.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think I have a crush on Jack Reacher.

    Me too !

    ReplyDelete
  3. Very good Z post, Maggie. I'm the only one in my family who doesn't listen to either IPOD or MP3. I usually like total silence, but I can see that a book for a long flight would be a treat.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I just got an I-Pad and have downloaded the app for Pandora, I listen to my Lady Gaga channel and also my Fleetwood Mac. It is so much fun to have entertainment, but I have yet to download a book.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wonderful Z post. I have more then a crush on Jack REacher!! Whoo Hoo HOney!! Sigh...anyway, love your zen!

    ReplyDelete
  6. SO jealous that you have HP audio books! Love Marvin Gaye! He was a real favourite in my youth!Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a wonderful post for Z. I have crush on Jack Reacher too :) I didn't realize that you could listen to books on your MP3! What a great idea. I have a kindle for long car trips, but it doesn't work too well when I'm the one driving lol. Hope to see you in summer school! Kat

    ReplyDelete
  8. Super ‘Z’ post – love downloaded books (and Jack Reacher!)

    Hope it's cooler in France than here in S Spain - 34C in Malaga yesterday!

    Thanks for stopping by & have a great weekend,

    LOLA:)

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love your Zen choices! I'd have to say I'd share them with you!

    ReplyDelete
  10. This is such a good idea. If I didn't have to keep an ear out for my toddler. I would do this too.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Nice post, we all need some Zen time...bkm

    ReplyDelete
  12. Great Z post! I often bop to something or another with my ipod or zune while gardening or domestic engineering! Happy z day to you!

    ReplyDelete
  13. i love the motown songs too :D

    ReplyDelete
  14. I'm a Motown girl from back in the day. There's nothing that I like more than a Temptations song. They were my favorites, ha. I think I have to get with it with an ipod or whatever. I still listen to CD's and read books. I guess soon I better get with the times lol. Great Z post.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Perfect, Miz M! Zen for Z was a fantastic choice. Love to listen to both classical music and audio books. ~ S

    ReplyDelete
  16. oh i adored your take on zen ... especially in the garden.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Great post! I would love to have some of your selections on my ipod. I bet you will love the Harry Potter book-I couldn't put it down!

    Best wishes for a fabulous Friday,
    Natasha.
    xo

    ReplyDelete
  18. That's funny, Maggie, but so true. My zen is my iPod shuffle. I just attach it to my collar and zone out.
    BTW: We ALL have a crush on Jack Reacher!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Jack Reacher is mine, Maggie, all mine!

    My husband plugs into his mp3 or ipod whenever he does anything he hates.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Great idea for this last letter. I also find tasks easier to handle with good music in the background. I can't listen to books, though. I'm too visual of a learner. And I like to curl up with one in a hammock.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Ah...I am a wee bit on the slow end when it comes to techie progress...that is so neat that you can listen to a book through an MP3. I thought they were only for music. Have a great trip!

    And I love digging around in a garden and get excited to see things grow from the soil. :o)

    Blessings & Aloha!
    Thanks for popping over to my "uber" long post! I really hope that I didn't forget anyone! haha

    ReplyDelete
  22. I have a Zen MP3 too, but a 'Pebble'. I hardly ever listen to it though because when I am travelling, I am usually driving. The one time it is invaluable is at end-of-school-year-report-writing time, when I block out the world with music and try to remember what my pupils were like waaaaaay back in Septemer!

    ReplyDelete
  23. Well, happy Z day :)And safe travels for your trips...
    It has been 26 weeks of fun and opportunities. And deep thoughts, good thing you have moments of zen, so you could share :)!

    hope you can visit my z when you have time :)
    http://adivashammer.com/?p=1662

    ReplyDelete
  24. Oh, a fun trip!

    A fun link!

    A fun subject!

    Just, all in all, a fun stop on our little journey through Alphabe-Thursday's letter "Z"!

    Thanks for linking up.

    You always make me smile.

    Travel safe!

    A+

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by, your visit just made my day!