Thursday 3 February 2011

To market, to market, to buy.........?

Most Thursday mornings we drive to a nearby market town to buy fresh fruit and vegetables, we take our elderly neighbour along with us, too.
Some time ago he was informed by the "authorities" that he was too frail to drive himself and his licence was duly annulled, much to his digust!
We left in a hurry and I forgot to pick up my shopping list off the kitchen counter so had to try and recreate it in the car as we drove along.
Thank heavens I had a pretty little notepad & pen in my bag.

I don't think I could ever be described as a "girly girl" (I like to think more Wonder Woman than Barbie) but the fluffy purple feathers on the elegant strappy shoe make me smile.
Thanks KE, for this sweet Christmas stocking filler gift that brightens up your big sisters day.

This week, whilst Mr B was "parlaying" with the boucher, I meandered around the stalls to see what else might take my fancy.

Free delivery when you buy 6 chairs, today only.
I came across a woman who now and again sets up a small "Brocante" table and stopped to browse the ancient books displayed there.

I uncovered two antique, school textbooks: Le Livre de L'Ecole printed in 1890 and Lectures Faciles circa 1905.

Le Pont D'Avignon.
English schoolchildren learned this one too.
At just 2.50 euro apiece, I had to have them.


Just a few stalls further along, I found these beautiful tulips.


Back home again, one blue and white Quimper pitcher later, and voila!

Je suis une fille heureuse.

Joining in the fun this week with
Courtney for Feathered Nest Friday @ French Country Cottage
Show and Tell Friday with Cindy @ My Romantic Home
Liz @ Rose Vignettes for Fresh Cut Friday
Linda @ A LA CARTE for Junkin Finds Friday
 and
A Few Of My Favourite Things Saturday @ Bargain Hunting With Laurie.
Thank you ladies for graciously hosting these wonderful gatherings.

25 comments:

  1. Who needs a list when they can be this spontaneous and come out a winner?! Those books are just fantastic! They look perfect next to your beautiful vase of tulips!

    Happy Friday, Maggie!

    XO,
    Jane

    ReplyDelete
  2. French markets are such fun. You never quite know what you will find!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Just popping over from My Romantic Home for Show & Tell. What a fun market you have where you are. I love your new old books. Books are so much fun to decorate. They look lovely on your table with the fresh tulips.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your tulips are beautiful Maggie, love the colors-enjoy:@)

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a fun day! I love your new, oldy books! What a treasure!

    Thank you for joining in on Fresh-cut Friday!! :)

    ~Liz

    ReplyDelete
  6. So nice that you drive your elderly neighbor. I wish an authority would stop my elderly FIL from driving. Last year he drove himself to the eye doctor because he said he could not see. Scary. Love the tulips as they make me think Spring is right around the corner. Great find on the books.
    Joyce

    ReplyDelete
  7. Heureuse et chançeuse de vivre dans ce peitit coin du paradis. I miss those lovely markets in Europe. I live in Canada, northern Ontario. Your blog really touched me so here I am.
    Rita

    ReplyDelete
  8. Looks like such a fun market to visit. I LOVE the books you found and the tulips are just beautiful!!
    Have a wonderful weekend.
    Jane

    ReplyDelete
  9. I loved peering into the square and the little market - what a great place to shop!....and your notepad made me smile. Not a girly-girl either, but sometimes a little something outrageous is perfect.

    ReplyDelete
  10. The books are fantastic. How beautiful the display with the tulips..

    ReplyDelete
  11. Love those books and they look beautiful with the tulips in your Quimper pitcher. Thanks for joining JFF this week. hugs, Linda

    ReplyDelete
  12. If I'd been in the market we might have met at the old book table. i love old books and wouldn't have been able to pass up those old books either. Have a good weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Maggie, how nice to be 'taken along' to market by you and Roger.
    This fellow is a lucky man to have you two as neighbors. I'd love to be there to go to market, in the meantime, it's fun to read about. I adore those tulips! And your books are treasures too.

    Have a great week end.

    ReplyDelete
  14. What a wonderful market ya have to buy produce at!!! Oh, I only dream of farm fresh produce right now. The stuff I'm buyin' at the store right now doesn't even taste!

    Those books are quite the treasure sweetie!

    God bless ya and have a fantastic weekend!!!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Oh, I wish I was there--those chairs and the old books; another favorite of mine! Love your post.

    ReplyDelete
  16. You are making me long for a day at a French market. Thanks for taking us along. You newly formed vignette is delightful. I need to go buy some new tulips. All mine had to go in the trash today. ;-)
    Enjoy the weekend! ~ Sarah

    ReplyDelete
  17. What a fun outing! Your tulips are beautiful. . . spring WILL arrive, won't it!

    ReplyDelete
  18. So fun to see and hear your experiences where you live. I love hearing about places from outside the US! Portlandia Vintage

    ReplyDelete
  19. I would have loved to grab those antique books - what a find!

    Love those French markets, as you well know!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Oh those books are so sweet! I love your pictures of the market~ Thanks for sharing at Feathered Nest Friday! :)

    ReplyDelete
  21. Maggie, your shopping is much better than following a grocery list! Love those children's books, and the tulips look beautiful in your pretty Quimper pitcher. What a nice way to do the grocery shopping, and how kind of you to take your neighbor. Thank you for joining Favorite Things. laurie

    ReplyDelete
  22. Hi. Thanks for visiting and leaving the nice comment. Love your old finds!
    Have a great week!
    ~ Julie

    ReplyDelete
  23. I love visiting the markets in France! Beaucoup d'inspiration!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by, your visit just made my day!