Thursday 22 December 2011

Glacé fruit topped Christmas cake.


Last month I blogged about baking Mary Berry's Victorian Christmas Cake.
Click here if you missed that post or would like the recipe.
Since then I have given the cake a little tot of whisky about every 10 days or so to keep it moist.
When it came time to decorate the cake I first warmed through 2 tablespoons of apricot conserves with 1 tablespoon of Calvados apple brandy.
(What can I say? It's a boozy cake!)

Abricots, poires, clementines, prunes, figues, tranches de citrons, tranches d'oranges and bigarreaux.
Apricots, pears, clementines, figs, slices of lemons and oranges and cherries.

I brushed the cake quite liberally with the conserves and then artfully (!) arranged some glace fruit and pecan nuts before brushing once again with the remainder of the conserves until all was beautifully glossy.


I purchased the fruits glacés from Les Fleurons d'Apt a wonderful online emporium full of Provencal foodie treats.
This will be the last post of 2011, whew! hasn't this year just flown by?
Like many of you, I'll be taking a short break away from blogging until the New Year.
Until then dear friends and followers may I take the opportunity of wishing you all 
A Very Merry Christmas
and
 A Happy, Healthy and Prosperous 2012.

16 comments:

  1. Maggie, can't get to sleep tonight so here I am. ;-)
    Looks lovely! When will you cut into this beauty?
    Merry, Merry ~ Sarah

    ReplyDelete
  2. That cake looks delicious Maggie.

    Here's wishing you a wonderful and HAPPY CHRISTMAS and all the best in 2012.

    Riet

    ReplyDelete
  3. Merry Christmas, Maggie! I wish you all the best of the celebration and a very Happy New Year!

    ReplyDelete
  4. You can't beat a Mary Berry Cake, it looks wonderful, shame to eat it really.
    Have a wonderful christmas.

    ReplyDelete
  5. When will you cut this boozy cake? It's almost too pretty yo cut!! Merry, merry!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Merry Christmas!

    That cake looks exquisite! Love those fruits and I'll have to go check them out!

    As well as the cake recipe!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Sending very best wishes for a wonderful Christmas and a healthy and prosperous New Year.

    Wish I could be there when you cut into that beauty of a cake - I know it's going to be scrumptious Maggie!

    Hugs - Mary

    ReplyDelete
  8. Good Morning and Merry Christmas Maggie!

    I AGREE...that fruit cake looks wonderfully delicious! Have fun on your "hiatus"...

    ReplyDelete
  9. The cake looks so good, Maggie. Merry Christmas.

    ReplyDelete
  10. What a gorgeous creation! Merry Christmas, Maggie!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Your fruitcake looks wonderful Maggie. I must taste delicious. Happy Christmas - have a wonderful holiday season!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Dea lady...enjoy you rest.....we will see you in the new year.

    xo

    Jo

    ReplyDelete
  13. How I wish I was there to eat a slice of that magnificently decorated fruit cake! I love it!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I'm so happy that you let us see your beautiful Christmas cake. What lovely fruit glace you had for topping the cake. I hope you had a wonderful and joyous Christmas and wish you all the best for the New Year.

    ReplyDelete
  15. What a beautiful incredible cake! If you eat more than one piece--- can you still walk? Lol!! I'd love to taste this one!!
    Vicki

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by, your visit just made my day!